- 1 lb. shelled wheat
- 1 lb. raisins
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. fennel
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- crushed almonds and walnuts, for garnish
- 1 tsp. anise (optional)
This is a Palestinian dessert that is traditionally prepared on St. Barbara's day, December 4th. There is a story that goes around that says St. Barbara made this to sustain herself when her father had locked her in a room.
(1) Soak wheat overnight and rinse.
(2) Place wheat in a pot and cover with about an inch of water. Boil until wheat is tender, adding water if necessary to keep a stewy consistency.
(3) When wheat is tender, add about a cup of sugar (to desired sweetness), the raisins, and the spices. Boil for another 10 minutes.
(4) Serve hot, garnishing with nuts to taste.